Attorney Nicole Marklein is a partner of CJMM. She specializes in the areas of employment law, civil and insurance defense litigation, and alternative family planning.
Attorney Marklein represents businesses and individuals in various types of litigation, from contract disputes to personal injuries. She also enjoys providing her business clients with cost-effective employment advice and representation to help avoid employment claims and limit potential exposure if a claim arises.
She has been named a Rising Star and Super Lawyer by SuperLawyers magazine in the area of employment law for several years. She frequently speaks and writes on a number of civil litigation and employment law topics.
Noting the growing need for quality representation of individuals seeking to help provide or build their families, Attorney Marklein has gained expertise in the field of alternative family planning, including various types of surrogacy arrangements, egg/sperm donation, and related parentage issues. She is an LGBTQ ally and enjoys providing cost-effective legal assistance to all types of families.
Attorney Marklein serves as the President of the Wisconsin Defense Counsel, Wisconsin’s statewide civil defense bar. She is a member of the Sauk County Bar Association, State Bar of Wisconsin and Sauk-Columbia Society for Human Resource Management. She is the former President of the Baraboo Area Chamber of Commerce and Rotary Club of Baraboo.
A lifelong Wisconsin resident and proud Badger, Attorney Marklein is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School and obtained her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. During law school, she served as an Articles Editor of the Wisconsin Women’s Law Journal and served as a judicial intern to Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David T. Prosser, Jr. She is admitted to practice in Wisconsin state courts, the U.S. District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Wisconsin and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Nicole Marklein Awards, Writings, Appearances and Presentations
Current through 9/2/22
SuperLawyers Rising Star 2012-2022
• Moderator: How the Insurer, Merits Counsel and Coverage Counsel Should…And Shouldn’t…Work Together—Panel Discussion, Wisconsin Defense Counsel 8.4.22
• Contributor: Avoiding Legal Landmines for Small Businesses, North Central Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association 5.16.22
• Contributor: Weed at Work, Sauk-Columbia SHRM 2.9.22
• Guest: WHBY’s “The Lawyers”: The Lawyers Examine Vaccine Mandates & Civil Rights Claims 11.8.21
• Guest: Civic Revival Podcast: Vexatious Leadership, Vaccine Law & Victory Lap September 2021
• Presenter: Managing Remote Teams, Sauk-Columbia SHRM October 2020
• Guest: Civic Revival Podcast: Defending POTUS, Jobless Benefits & Roadside Hugs September 2020
• Panelist: Motions In Limine In Your Car Crash Case: A Panel Discussion, State Bar of Wisconsin 1.16.20
• Panelist: In the Era of #metoo and “Time’s Up” – It’s Time for a Candid Discussion on Issues Facing Women in the Legal Profession, State Bar of Wisconsin Young Lawyers
• Presenter: Everything You Wanted to Know About Employment Law (And some things you probably don’t), Portage Area Chamber of Commerce February 2019
• Panelist: Tips and Hot Topics in Your Car Crash Case: An Interactive Panel Discussion,
State Bar of Wisconsin 1.18.19
• Panelist: Me Too, Wisconsin Defense Counsel 4.27.18
• Presenter: 5 Things That Keep Your Labor and Employment Attorney Up at Night, Sauk
Prairie Chamber of Commerce July 2017
• Presenter: 2017 Legal Update, Sauk-Columbia SHRM February 2017
• Presenter: Chronic Complainer: Protected Activity or Fireable Offense?, Sauk-Columbia SHRM 2017
• Presenter: Avoiding Common Financial Pitfalls in Caring for Elderly Parents and Relatives, Baraboo Area Chamber of Commerce May 2016
• Presenter: HELP WANTED: Avoid Legal Pitfalls During the Hiring Process, Sauk Prairie Chamber of Commerce March 2016
• “Wage and Hour Pitfalls for Law Firms and Their Clients”, Wisconsin Civil Trial Journal, 2015
• Presenter: “Your Supervisor Wrote WHAT?” Employee Documentation…what to write, and what NOT to write, Sauk-Columbia SHRM June 2015• Presenter: Pay Up: Common Employee Wage Mistakes, Baraboo Area Chamber of Commerce 3.5.15
• Presenter: Social Media for Employers: #itsabigdeal, Baraboo Area Chamber of Commerce 8.19.14
• Presenter: Covenants Not to Compete (“Noncompete Agreements”), Baraboo Area Chamber of Commerce 11.14.13
• Presenter: Can I pay this employee a salary? Can I make this employee an independent contractor?, Baraboo Area Chamber of Commerce 6.4.13